Compare cheap home insurance quotes with uSwitch
Comparing home insurance – what you will need ready
Before you start to compare home insurance quotes, you’ll need to be able to tell us:
- The approximate rebuild value of the property you want to insure – don’t worry if you don’t know exactly, just tell us the rough amount
- Details of the types of locks on the doors and windows of the property
- Roughly how old the property is
- The rough value of the contents of the property and any items worth over £500
- Details of your current home insurance deal, your no claims bonus, and any claims you’ve made
Find cheap home and contents insurance deals
Our home insurance comparison service is free and simple – and could save you money when you compare and switch
You can get a home insurance quote and guidance to help you find cheap building insurance through our home insurance comparison tool.
Check the latest home insurance rates and use uSwitch to get low cost home insurance quote today.
Ways to reduce home and contents insurance costs
There are a number of ways to reduce the cost of your home contents insurance – here are our top five:
- Try not to make a claim on your home insurance unless you’re really left with no alternative – the fewer claims you make, the lower your premium should be
- Make your home more secure by fitting good quality locks to all accessible doors and windows, and consider fitting a burglar alarm
- Fit and regularly test a smoke alarm
- Increase the excess – the higher the voluntary excess, the lower your home insurance premium should be
- Insurers tend to offer cheaper home insurance premiums if your house is occupied – if you go on holiday for more than 28 days at a time and leave the property unoccupied, they could charge you extra
For more ideas on how to reduce your home insurance costs, read our home insurance guides .
Compare and find cheap home insurance
Simply enter your details and we’ll show you a range of cheap home insurance quotes.
If you’re looking for cheap home insurance, you can compare building insurance quotes with uSwitch. You may also want to read our guides to building and contents insurance and see if you can get more from switching.
House and contents insurance comparison websites
Home insurance comparison sites will help you compare home insurance rates from a range of providers.
Along the way you may also get some home insurance offers and low cost home insurance options that are exclusive to to each comparison site, but it’s wise to make sure guidance is impartial and has your best interests in mind.
Bad service and poor cover can make the home insurance cost sting, even if you got a ‘great deal’.
The difference between building and contents insurance
Simply put, buildings insurance covers damage to the main structure of your home while contents insurance covers damage to the possessions held inside.
You can compare building insurance or compare home insurance prices for your contents.
Both types of insurance tend to cover damage caused by:
- Explosion or earthquake
- Theft or attempted theft
- Riots or vandalism
- Lightning, storms, falling trees, or flooding
- Moving objects, such as a car hitting your home
- Escaping or leaking water or oil
You can choose to take out buildings and contents insurance separately or together – unlike some home insurance comparison sites our tool enables you to do both.